It is just past five AM. I flip on the TV, out of early morning habit, to watch Global BC Morning News. I was greeted with the 'searching for service' message on the screen. Cable is out.
I decided to write on my blog for a while. The Internet connection is sporadic at best so I can write it but may not be able to post it for a few hours.
It snowed about 10 inches or 25? centimetres overnight. I was not expecting to see snow this morning, this late in the winter season. There are many crazy weather events happening globally. Nothing should surprise me anymore, but it still does. Environment Canada also forecasted potentially damaging winds sustained at 100 kilometres an hour with gusts to 140 kilometres.
I expected to wake up to treetops whipping around and lawn chairs scattered.
Instead, all is quiet and still, branches and ground smothered in thick snow.
The winds are supposed to start sometime this morning...oh yay...
I didn't sleep well last night. We are looking after a friend's dog while she is away. The dog has a gentle spirit, he is a wolf hybrid. He is rife with health issues. He has allergies that manifest in horrible reactions to his skin. He scratches and squirms, breaks his skin open. He shows many signs of distress, pacing and whining, during the night.
We are required to give him four or five medications everyday. I believe these medications wreak havoc in his stomach. If he needs to go out in the night to empty his bowels and we don't hear him whining or scratching at the door, he does what he needs to do on the floor. He is a big dog so we are talking big turds here. Yesterday his body gave him short warning that he had to poo. He made it as far as the door but his bowels let go before we could get it open for him.
I feel sad when I see him, or any, animal suffering. There is little I can do to alleviate his physical woes. We give him lots of love but that doesn't help his physical condition. If he were my dog, I would be considering if it were time for him to take that walk over the Rainbow Bridge to doggy heaven. He is not my dog though, so it is not my call. I had to make that call in days and dogs gone by, it is a toughie. His owners are kind people. I don't envy them having to make the decision to put him down soon.
I pray he has a better day today.
The power has flickered off and on a few times since I arose at 5AM. Gratefully, it appears the gods are on our side this morning, keeping the lights on and the furnaces burning. I am thankful for small mercies. I wouldn't like to be sitting here cold and in the dark. I can deal with the lack of TV and Internet, for a while anyway, but I like to be warm.
Hydro crews will be crazy busy today. We live on one of the smaller gulf islands off Vancouver Island. It may be awhile before we get our services back up and running.
7:15 AM. The cable just came back on. Christi Gordon, is currently telling us what we can expect in terms of weather today. It is going to go from bad to worse before it gets better.
I can't imagine what it would be like if we, in this land of democracy and freedom ( democracy and freedom being two of many illusions we humans in the Western world cling to), were abruptly cut off from our access to cyberspace.
We are a wired World. Thanks to social media sites like Facebook and Twitter, people in strife ridden middle east countries are able to contact the 'outside world' to get messages out about their health, safety and conditions, via other forms of technology, one example being the iPhone.
This planet is becoming a frikken scary and unstable place. I seriously hope we can turn the tides before we all fall victim to global war, starvation, poisoning, mass genocide. It is not beyond the realm of thought, right here, right now, right on our doorstep.
Add to the list the potential threat from the Bildeberg group, if Jesse Ventura's conspiracy theories are too be believed. December 21, 2012 is also a force we will need to reckon with on our horizon.
God help us to help ourselves.
In the meanwhile, make it a great day!
Thanks for reading my blog.
No comments:
Post a Comment