And another week begins. Well, day two of a new week but Monday somehow signifies GET MOVING to me.
I live on the sleepy little Island, Quadra, by Discovery Passage, between Vancouver Island and the Mainland of British Columbia. About half of the shops and businesses aren't open on Monday here on the Island. There are not enough customers to make it profitable. That's my guess anyway. It could be that, as Islanders, they have decided a three day weekend is much more user friendly than a two day weekend.
I have lived on this Island for about a year now. I still feel like a newcomer. I suspect I will feel that way for some time. I am a bit of a loner and shy to boot so I haven't gone out of my way to familiarise myself to many of the locals. Regardless, shop keepers remember faces and preferences and I feel welcome here.
There is a little four page newsletter, The Hungry Eye, that is published once a week on the Island.
In last week's edition, there was a picture of a couple of people on the front page and the caption read, "Newcomers to Quadra, residing here since 1998". I got a chuckle out of it as it is now 2011. I can't imagine how long one needs to live here to be considered a native. Native Islander that is.
My guy built a sweat lodge. It is made out of willows and old blankets. About once a month or so we have a sweat. A sweat involves complete darkness, hot rocks(representing the "grandfathers", I will explain more in a later post). Everyone attending sits in a circle around the rock pit. The doorway in the Lodge is closed to obtain total darkness. Everyone attending is given the opportunity to pray, aloud or in silence. We honor and pray for all things in Nature; we pray for friends, family and foe; all creatures that need prayers and blessings.
Through this avenue I have become acquainted with some people of like mind.
We, my guy and I, recognise we need to expand out horizons and include more entertainment and socialising into our lives.
Monday, Monday da da da da da da!
1 comment:
Quadra sounds small, lol an i still cant wait to come visit you two :D
love your blog page :D and about to keep reading :P tty in a bit :D , oh its me Desiree :P lol
haha didnt know how to use the comment box ahaha jk
Post a Comment